Thursday, February 17, 2011

Perfect: Easier With Numbers

The days seem to be slipping by leaving me behind....

So I was thinking about perfect numbers the other night.  A perfect number is a number that is equal to half of the sum of all its multiples.  The smallest perfect number is 6.  For clarification:

6 = (1+2+3+6)/2

Or, in English, the multiples of 6 are 1,2,3, and 6.  Add them all up, and you get 12, which is twice as much as 6.  This made me think, what defines the search of perfection for people?  Does the same definition fit?  If so, does that mean that to be perfect, we have to achieve 200% of what we are made of?  Maybe that is why I've never been close, no matter how hard I've pushed myself.  I cannot equal that.  With numbers, it is so easy, so simple, just define a number, and it's multiples, and then add.  With people, with me, it's hard.  What compromises me?  Do we add up my love of helping others, my hatred of myself, and my inability to recognize what i have to give the world?  That seems to be so insurmountable, pushing myself to be twice of what I already work so hard to be.

Maybe I'll just give up.  That's what people do with math homework when it doesn't make sense.


Also, I'd like to talk about symbols.  Everyone has a certain symbol they identify with more than anything else.  Mine is the Phoenix.

But, have you ever stopped and wondered why we attach ourselves to these symbols?  For me, it means never having to surrender.  A Phoenix never truly dies, whenever it fails, it gets a second chance to make things right.  I always push myself so hard that I'm terrified of failing.  But if I'm a Phoenix, I always get another chance.  I am born of fire to fight with all my heart.

Just a thought, even though I have too many.

This song has been stuck in my head

No comments:

Post a Comment